I have been obsessed with hummus for the last couple of months. My mom always bought it and I never ~really~ tried it. I always thought it was weird. Now looking back, I don’t know why. I love garbanzo beans. It was and is by far my favorite bean out there. When I started to buy hummus, I always bought the brand that you see EVERYWHERE. This is a great brand, don’t get me wrong, but after making my own hummus at home, I realized it was way better and honestly, cheaper. This is my recipe for hummus!
Now, I have a Vitamix 3500, so making hummus LITERALLY takes 30 second to make. You can make this in the food processor, which still makes beautifully smooth hummus too, you just need to pulse until that smooth consistency. You probably will need to add more Aquafaba (the juice the garbanzo beans come in the can) or more Olive Oil.
- 2 cans of garbanzos (drained)
- 1/3 cup of garbanzo “liquid” aka aquafaba. Keep some more if you’re using a food processor
- 1/2 cup of tahini
- 1/4 cup of olive oil (more for plating)
- The zest of 1 lemon
- The juice of 2 lemons
- 3-4 garlic cloves (minced)
If you do not want a super garlic flavor, cut the amount in half.
- 3 teaspoons of ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Olive Oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Add all of the ingredients into your Vitamix/food processor.
Since I’m using a Vitamix, I did it in this order: aquafaba, oil, tahini, garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Turn the Vitamix on high (the 9 or 10) for 30 seconds. Use the tamper to smooth things out. Add more liquid (aquafaba or oil) if you want it smoother. If you like your hummus chunkier, use the tamper less.
Serve with some pita chips or some the delicious blue corn tortilla chips from Trader Joe’s.
If you like recipes like this, click that Follow button. To get email updates, subscribe to the blog! You can also follow on Facebook with the page “Boricua in the Midwest” and follow my Instagram @boricuainthemidwest for the blog’s posts and @lokoxmusica where you can get a snapshot of my life filled with music & food!